Developing Healthy Habits
Humans are very habitual creatures
Bad habits, good habits – we all have them. It’s routine to become accustomed to do doing things or acting in a specific way. There’s no denying that habits have a great impact on our life and our health. They are a combination of everything: Fitness, Nutrition, and Lifestyle. So it’s important that the habits you form are reflective of the life you want to lead.
If some of your habits are less than welcoming, follow these guidelines to develop better ones.
- Try to exercise at least 3 times a week. However, don’t focus on the end goal. Rather think of this as establishing a new routine. If you get too caught up in getting into shape, you may discourage your own progress.
- Sleep well, but don’t go to sleep angry. Everything moves at such a fast pace, and it seems harder and harder to get the rest we need. Plan to sleep 7-9 hours every night and commit to it!
- Live in the present and not the past. Learning how to forgive is just as essential to a healthy life as is exercise and good food. It’s easy to blame others, but once we stop holding a grudge we free up more energy and gain a better understanding of ourselves as well.
- Listen to music, let it take you to your “Happy Place.” Music gets us moving, smiling, and is a major stress reliever.
- If you’re stuck at a desk for most of the day, or don’t get to move much, try little spurts of physical activity.
- Something as simple as taking the stairs instead of the elevator
- Or something more fun, like a dance break!
- Observe, don’t judge.
- Laugh more and remember not to take life too seriously all the time.
- Act like a kid! Make daily chores/routines more fun and enjoyable for yourself.
- Avoid eating when you’re feeling stressed as much as possible. Become more in tune with your body and listen to hunger cues.
- Drink plenty of water and other healthy fluids. However, limit your alcohol intake. A glass now and again won’t hurt you, but binge drinking can lead to more serious problems in the future.
- Stay positive and be kind! Pass it forward.