Give Me Some Rest & Relaxation
Rest & Relaxation: We’re Bringing it Back
For many, time always seems to be against us. We get busy and time slips away. Our daily planners and calendars are filled to the brim, but we can’t manage to fit in everything because there’s never enough time. And by trying to make the most of the time we do have, our personal health often suffers. In our current climate we’ve come to associate inactivity with wasted time. Sometimes we may even feel guilty for taking a day for ourselves. We think, “I should’ve been more productive.” But it’s time to put an end to this stigma. If you’re feeling exhausted, slow, or under the weather – a break is exactly what you need right now.
Why is it important?
If you don’t give your body the rest and relaxation that it needs, you’re mood and health can be at stake. By allowing yourself the room to properly unwind at the end of the day, you help decrease blood pressure, relieve pain, and improve your immune system. By alleviating stress, you can combat health issues such as chest pain and indigestion. Quality sleep is also essential to restoring your body’s energy, repairing muscle tissue, and improving concentration/memory.
Best Ways to Relax and Unwind
- Learn to say, “No.”
- Incorporate a new hobby, or something you love to do, into your daily routine.
- Gardening, crafting, watching movies, reading books, etc – anything, as long as it makes you happy.
- Soak in a warm bath and listen to music.
- Get a massage.
How to Get a Good Night’s Rest
The amount of sleep you need depends on your age. For adults, it would be between 7-9 hours.
- Avoid caffeine and other stimulants at night.
- Set a schedule for the week and the weekend. Try your best to meet the same time everyday, so your body knows when to wake up and when to go to sleep.
- Avoid watching TV and doing work in your bed.
- This prevents your mind from unwinding before you go to sleep.
- If you have trouble sleeping, also try to avoid naps.
- Practice a relaxing bedtime routine.
- Ensure that your bed is as comfortable as you need it to be.
- Leave your worries and stress at the door.