How to Increase Your Endurance
Endurance is our greatest asset
And discouragement is our greatest foe. Whatever your goal may be for running, in order to be successful you need to have both stamina and an understanding of your body’s limits. Improving stamina and building up endurance don’t happen immediately, but take time to develop. The task might seem daunting, but it’s very necessary especially if you want to increase your mileage as a runner.
Here are some short, summarized tips to help you get started:
- Patience is a virtue.
- As always, take it slow and steadily strengthen your muscles to better prepare your body for longer workouts.
- If you’re completely new to running, start with walking and add in intervals of jogging.
- Focus on the time spent running rather than how fast you’re running.
- Once you’re able to run for at least 30 minutes, begin to increase your mileage.
- No more than 10% each week.
- Work out a schedule that you know you can stick to.
- Remember to incorporate rest days!
- Keep all your muscles engaged by cross-training.
- Core work and strength conditioning will help improve your running performance.
Some days will be better than others, but don’t give up. Keep running and stay consistent.