Small Actions: Pay It Forward!
…and Keep Paying it Forward!
If your schedule is hectic and you can’t find the time to commit to a big volunteer event, there are smaller, everyday things you can do to give back to your community. Lending a helping hand, even if it’s only for a few minutes, can be incredibly beneficial. That’s what we’re (RockyPoint 5K) all about.
- Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
- First of all, please don’t litter. Tossing away a small gum wrapper may seem inconsequential in the moment, but it adds up. Spare a few seconds and pick up rogue pieces of trash wherever you travel for the day. Be it the parking lot of a grocery store or the playground at a park, get your hands dirty and help keep the environment happy.
- Recycle – you know how.
- Also, you can reuse many common household items like plastic grocery bags, take out and other plastic storage containers, glass jars, seeds, etc.
- Dust off a book
- Libraries are amazing, but sometimes they’re a little short staffed. If you happen to be browsing for a new read, maybe ask if they need some help.
- Research Charities
- Whether you’re internet savvy or not, many of us end up on social media one way or another. While you’re at it, why not check out some local charities on Facebook or twitter? Learn what they’re about and share it with friends.
- Donate or spread the word, share a link or two. Regularly look in and see what they’re up to.
- If the organizations or charities within your community are lacking a social media page, why not create one for them?
- Have a conversation with your neighbor
- Yes, socializing counts.
- Create a collection program
- Set up a donation box at your place of work, (if it is allowed), and ask your coworkers to donate clothes, canned goods, gently used toys, etc.
Upcoming Events and Reoccurring Opportunities in the Community:
Search away and find opportunities closest to you!
Waste not, want not.